Friday, August 27, 2010

..reflections..

i was informed yesterday that we are only here for 10 more days. i was shocked, completely, and a moment of paranoia set in. i realized that my days in rugbyland are numbered and i couldn't bear the thought of life after this journey. i then pulled myself together with a few deep breaths. i got to thinking about my journey here, all the adventures, hurdles, matches, teammates, coaches, sacrifices, laughs, and cries that got me to this point. ive thought about these things many times before, but it's a bit different when looking from the tail end of an almost 8 year long dream.

i think back to my days at temple university, where i first began my rugby career. after my first season the team decided we wanted to be national champions, put in the hard work, and went for the gold. we did it, we took the national div 2 title that year. that was the first year i played under the guidance of pete steinberg. pete brought me along to practice with the big dogs, as i saw them back then, who played for keystone rugby club. i remember being scared, while somehow still absolutely loving every minute. pete has been a great part of my rugby life since those days in philadelphia.

during this time at temple i became great friends with tunney. together we confessed our goals of making it to the 2010 womens rugby world cup. we were in it for the long haul. we started our olympic lifting training that year-tunney was a lot better at it than me and the results came much quicker-i was jealous : ) but my eyes were opened to the possibility of this world cup dream and there was no turning back.


i played for a few all-star teams in college and completely gave in to my rugby obsession. i was introduced to a new coach my third year at temple, lisa rosen. lisa has played a huge role in my rugby career for many years..and fed me many great meals while enjoying fun times with the pups : ) i started playing with the usa u23 team that year as well..lisa being on my first (and scariest) tour. 


college came to an end and i knew i needed to take myself to nyc. i wanted to play with the best, as i saw them. the new york rugby club had some of the best national players on it-my rugby idols-and i wanted to be there! i applied to grad schools, only in nyc, so that i'd have a reason to go there--for my mom : ) and made my way to the big apple! talk about star struck! i played my first game with nyrc in 2006 and could not contain my excitement..on the wing yelling to lisa on the sidelines to look at who i was playing with! it was crazy!! (hedwig and baja) it took awhile for the shock to settle down, as i was playing with national players of all different positions-watching in awe.


i kept trucking through rugby and obsessively loving every moment. giving up weekends, parties, weddings, family events, nights out with friends..as every rugger does. although i missed those events, it was all worth it because i knew i was doing something i loved and really needed to do. once i started playing with the national team i was in my glory. rugbyland came alive and i enjoyed many long trips away from home in rugby heaven.


looking back on all the people who helped shape my rugby career is overwhelming. from my time on philly's team to my days in college to the all-star teams to family-so many people have helped bring me to where i am now. it truly is amazing how much it really does take a village..or in my case many villages. im so grateful for being able to enjoy these moments..these moments that i dreamed about so long ago. to take a few moments to reflect on how much of a dream come true this journey really is is incredible and emotional. all the supporters and fans, all the friends and family, all the teammates who have become my second family, all the ruggers supporting the sport, and all their family/friends who make their careers possible..there are way too many people to thank, to name, to give props to, but know that i appreciate it all-everything and everyone-and havent forgotten how big you really are. here's one for the masses: THANK YOU!
    

1 comment:

  1. beautiful recognition of the journey. keep enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete