Monday, March 31, 2014

Custodios de las semillas

Guardians of the seeds

Last week I went to a gathering of people trying to keep the seeds in Colombia safe from government interference. The government is making laws that make it illegal to use organic seeds. The only legal route to farming would be using chemically manufactured seeds that have many disadvantages to healthy living, like ingesting chemicals. It is currently illegal to use any seeds or plants that may have been pollinated by a government seed, something nearly impossible to prevent. Laws like these are already passed in the USA.

The group is bringing together as many farmers as possible to take a stand against the government. The farm I am staying at is joining the group, so we went to the event to learn more and to gather some new seeds to plant at the farm. 

I don't know enough Spanish or enough about seeds to get the full depth of the situation or the plan moving forward, but it was a great experience and I learned a lot about the fate of our lands and government interactions. Eating non-chemically induced foods here has shown me that I'm not actually allergic to the foods I thought I was, but to the chemicals in/on them! What a revalation...



No comments:

Post a Comment