Sunday, June 1, 2014

Flashback!

Santi!

Emily
(Pereira, Colombia-endish of April) With a few other farm volunteers, I made a weekend trip to a nearby city in Colombia. This was not my first visit to Pereira, but would it be my last. I stayed with Emily, the farm owner's sister, at her house with her super adorable son-Santi.


The other volunteers opted for a hostel on night one, so Emily and I enjoyed some delicious meat on a stick from a nearby truck (my almost first taste of meat in 2 months)! We met up with some of Emily's friends at a bar designed with all recycled materials-way cool! The chairs were made from stacked egg crates, a little wobbly but still awesome, and the lamp fixtures were made from various pieces of metal. I had my first alcoholic beverage in 2 months, a brief pause in a very cleansing period of sobriety.

Saturday-We met up with the others and hiked up the side of the San Jose river (not sure if my memory is correct on the name). It was freaking beautiful!! Everything was green, lush and fresh! We stopped at the top and all swam in the river. The freezing cold river! Amazing! We stood under a mini waterfall, swam against the current, and took turns jumping from the rocks.



After a picnic on the stones and some sun time we headed back down the path. The only scary part of the trek were the bridges we had to cross along the way :/ It's a good thing I was mentally in a place to face my fears and stay positive otherwise I may have never crossed to the other side.. 



Sunday-Emily's friend invited us to his house about 30 mins up the mountainside. Gorgeous! The land was vast, green and incredibly beautiful. Mountain air feels so good to breathe! 







Me & Miles
We toured the property, which he is selling and I was really tempted to buy, before we started on the grub..lots of veggies and what turned out to be my last piece of meat. It was a wonderful end to a really wonderful weekend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment