Friday, July 18, 2014

NYRC - Thank You





I started playing with New York Rugby Club in 2006-a move I made straight out of college to play rugby with the BEST in the country. I was thrilled and star struck in a matter of moments. Everyone who was a part of the NYRC community welcomed me (as well as the rest of my amazing rookie class) with open arms. I felt the familial embrace immediately.

I was fortunate enough to visit New York for a few days this week prior to departing for the World Cup in France. I visited with teammates, their babies and friends and was overcome with nostalgia and happiness. The amount of pride I feel when I'm around the NYRC community is immense.

I was interviewed for an article to be published in the NYRC newsletter leading up to the 85th Anniversary celebration. It was an opportunity to reflect on my time with the club and to remember where I came from in my rugby career. One notable memory came at the very beginning of my time in NYC. During a fitness session with the team our then coach Drew Fautley yelled out to me "If you want to be an Eagle, you have to train like an Eagle!" I have always remembered that moment as a push to work harder for what I wanted in rugby. It also showed me that I had such great support behind me--something that only grew with time.

NYRC has been an incredible family to me over the years. I have given to the family and received from the family, just as any other person who has been a part of the club has. As I prepare to wear the USA jersey once more I am overcome with joy and gratefulness of being a part of this club. NYRC - thank you for pushing me, consoling me, cheering for me, loving me, and embracing me as both a rugby player and a person. This one's for you ;)

FOR THE CLUB



4 comments:

  1. We're all rooting for you V! YOU KNOOOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! And you are right it's the best family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck V.... Miss you so much...you are right... We are lucky enough to have been part of something great..love you so much... Big hug from Israel...

    ReplyDelete