Tuesday, April 22, 2014

vacation..on vacation






People here in Colombia ask me all the time if I'm on vacation and I never quite know what to say. I suppose I am on vacation, but it feels more like a journey than a reprieve. I want to say that I'm here for life, just another step in the direction I'm going, but that seems too complex. So I usually just say yes, and only the lucky ones who hang around me long enough get to hear pieces of my real story ;)
Either way, last week I made my first overnight venture away from the farm. I was a bit anxious about how I would feel (disliking change and all), but decided I needed the getaway and shouldn't hide from whatever was tapping at the door to my mind. So, I left for Manizales on Tuesday morning. I went to visit a friend at her farm house.

  

I arrived to a beautiful vista of trees and mountains. The first night we cooked on the fire outside with her friends. It was relaxing and hard at the same time. I was looking at the next few days of almost exclusive Spanish, which would be great for learning, but challenging for life. Ha!

Over the 5 days I spent there we worked in the garden, met family and friends, ate awesome vegan cuisine and hiked up and down way too many "hills" to count. My calves were in super strength mode and my brain was exhausted by the time I left! Great things :)


I missed the farm, but had a great time. When I returned I felt like I had missed so much and needed to be caught up on all the happenings of my farm family! I also came back in a new mental space with lots to ponder about my journey going forward. For now, I'm into another week in Colombia filled with joy and smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment